Subject: Re: bug#16497: 24.3.50; `move-to-column' ignores invisible text at the beginning of the line, which create problems when using string-rectangle

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:22:02 +0100

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is it possible to concoct a simple test case that explicitly uses
> move-to-column, and doesn't require Org?

emacs -Q
M-: (insert "abc") RET
C-a
M-: (put-text-property (point) (1+ (point)) 'invisible t) RET
M-: (move-to-column 0)

The point is between the invisible character and "b", which
feels wrong even in terms of interactively inserting text.

It is also wrong when you C-x r t SPC RET, as the rectangle
will be inserted after the real first (invisible) character
of the line.

Hope this clarifies,

-- 
 Bastien