Subject: Re: bug#16497: 24.3.50; `move-to-column' ignores invisible text at the beginning of the line, which create problems when using string-rectangle

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:11:28 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Indeed.  And it's not the right choice in your case.  But I'm pretty
> sure it is the right choice in other cases.

I agree.

> Maybe we should make move-to-column pay attention to stickiness so that
> you con control where it stops by playing with text-properties's
> stickiness (or overlay's insertion types).

Another way is to have a parameter to possibly ignore invisibility
specs altogether.

If we rely on stickiness, then the fact that front-sticky is nil by
default suggests that (move-to-column 0) should ignore invisible text
while going back to the beginning of the line, because you don't want
to leave the point in a position where it will inherit from the
previous invisible property.  But this interpretation seems fragile.

> But just changing the behavior from one side to the other will just fix
> it in some cases and break it in others.

Yes, agreed too.

-- 
 Bastien