Subject: bug#16494: 24.3.50; $EMACSLOADPATH stopped working

From: Sebastian Wiesner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 16:33:55 +0100

In Emacs 24.3.50, $EMACSLOADPATH stopped working.

To reproduce, save the following code as `load-path-test.el':

(defun print-path-list (paths)
  (dolist (path paths)
    (princ (concat "  " path))
    (terpri)))

(defun main ()
  (princ "load-path:")
  (terpri)
  (print-path-list load-path)
  (princ "$EMACSLOADPATH")
  (terpri)
  (print-path-list (split-string (getenv "EMACSLOADPATH")
                                 (regexp-quote path-separator))))

Then run it with `EMACSLOADPATH=$HOME:/tmp emacs -Q --batch -l
load-path-test -f main'.  I see the following output:

load-path:
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/vc
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/url
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/textmodes
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/progmodes
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/play
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/org
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/nxml
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/net
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/mh-e
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/mail
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/leim
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/language
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/international
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/gnus
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/eshell
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/erc
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emulation
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/emacs-lisp
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/cedet
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/calendar
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/calc
  /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/obsolete
$EMACSLOADPATH
  /Users/swiesner
  /tmp

As you can see, `load-path' is not initialized with the value of
$EMACSLOADPATH, even though the variable is properly exported and known
to the Emacs process.

What am I doing wrong?