Subject: Re: bug#16493: 24.3.50; (setq search-invisible t) is useless, let's allow to turn visible-mode temporarily on

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 16:28:41 +0200

Hi Stefan and Juri,

reviving an old bug that continues to bug me.

The very frequent use-case I have is with (setq search-invisible t)
when I try to query-replace a string that's within an org-mode link.

I wish the content of the link could be displayed.

Bastien <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm fine with making isearch "reveal" those as well.  Of course, "how"
>> is an important question: tweaking buffer-invisibility-spec means that
>> we don't just reveal the part of the text we're interested in, but all
>> other parts hidden in the same way as well.  An alternative would be to
>> temporarily remove the text-property.
>
> Removing just the text property seems cleaner.

I guess this solution, though nice, is tricky to implement.  And
thinking about this again, I'd be fine with buffer-invisibility-spec
set to nil temporarily.

What do you think?  If you're okay with the buffer-invisibility-spec
solution, shall I go ahead and try to implement it?

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien