Subject: Re: bug#16493: 24.3.50; (setq search-invisible t) is useless, let's allow to turn visible-mode temporarily on

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:41:27 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> We lack a way to reveal truly invisible text when performing a search
>>> and replace.  The URL of a bracket link in Org is an example of such
>>> truly invisible text.
>>
>> What do you mean by "truly invisible"?  Does that refer to text that's
>> marked with an `invisible' text-property (as opposed to an overlay with
>> that property)?
>
> I guess Bastien meant toggling the value of `buffer-invisibility-spec'
> while isearch is active.  Let's wait for Bastien to confirm this.

Yes, I do confirm, thanks Juri.

> It's the problem indeed that isearch doesn't match such invisible text
> but query-replace matches and replaces it.

Yes.  I tried to state the problem here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2014-01/msg01054.html

I think the default behavior should be to open both invisible-with-a
-text-property and invisible-within-an-overlay areas when performing
a search-and-replace.

-- 
 Bastien