Subject: bug#16493: 24.3.50; (setq search-invisible t) is useless, let's allow to turn visible-mode temporarily on

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 15:20:34 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> E.g. replacing "www" by "ftp" is currently not possible in
>>   [[http://gnu.org][GNU]]
>> you have to manually turn visible-mode on.
>
> I don't understand the relationship between this problem and the subject
> of bug#16493.

I forgot to connect the dots.

When search-invisible is t, perform-replace can replace matches
in any invisible text, but does not display it when prompting the
user for confirmation.

When search-invisible is 'open, perform-replace can replace matches
only in hidden text (invisible through an overlay), and displays it
when prompting the user.

We lack a way to reveal truly invisible text when performing a search
and replace.  The URL of a bracket link in Org is an example of such
truly invisible text.

Juri's solution to add 'open-all could also be used in perform-replace
to let the user see truly invisible matches before replacing them.

So the *solutions* are related, if not the problems themselves.

-- 
 Bastien