Subject: Re: bug#16491: 24.3.50; ?REGRESSION: `defadvice' doc removed from Elisp manual

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:20:08 -0800

On 01/22/2014 02:11 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 09:31:07PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> At the very least, it [documentation of defadvice] should be
>>> available as an Info manual distributed with Emacs.
>
>> No, we don't document everything, and since documenting is advertising
>> we only document those things which we want people to use.

Moving the documentation to a "deprecated" section --- or even a 
separate elisp manual for deprecated functionality --- woudl be a good 
compromise.

> How about documenting the things those people want to use?  I, for one,
> need defadvice (in CC Mode), and the message coming out is that the
> upcoming Emacs might not be an optimal development platform the way the
> current Emacs is.
>
> Also, how are we encouraging people to convert defadvice to the new
> replacement functions if they can't easily access the former's
> documentation?

What if we did it the other way around and provided a downlevel- and 
XEmacs-compatible add-function implementation written in terms of old 
defadvice?