Subject: bug#16491: 24.3.50; ?REGRESSION: `defadvice' doc removed from Elisp manual

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:32:48 -0800 (PST)

> >> What's not fine is to simply remove all of the doc about
> >> the traditional `defadvice' advice system.
> 
> Totally agreed.  Which is why I kept the 60KB of docs in the
> Commentary section of advice.el.

That is not the user doc.  It is good that you at least
saved that information somewhere.  Such a concession!  60KB!

But it is not sufficient to just stuff that information into
a Lisp-file Commentary somewhere.  At the very least, it
should be available as an Info manual distributed with Emacs.

The fact that you felt it was worth mentioning how many KB
this doc weighs betrays your attitude about it, and perhaps
about user doc in general.

But you have already expressed yourself on that, stating in
the past that users don't need _any_ doc, and the code needs
no comments - the code itself suffices and is the real doc.
When will you bury all of the doc in Lisp comments?  Why
stop now with `defadvice'?

This is an anti-user attitude that is quite inappropriate,
especially for someone charged with leading Emacs development.
Too bad.

At least I know where to find the `defadvice' doc now - thank
you for that tip.  But poor Emacs.

Oh, BTW, did you give a _reason_ for carving this out of the
doc and moving it to a Lisp comment?  Did you propose that
possibility for emacs-devel discussion and present technical
or user-level arguments supporting it?

Did I miss those reasons somehow?  No?  I didn't think so.