Subject: bug#16491: closed (Re: bug#16491: 24.3.50; ?REGRESSION: `defadvice' doc removed from Elisp manual)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:41:03 +0000

Your bug report

#16491: 24.3.50; REGRESSION: `defadvice' doc removed from Elisp manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16491: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16491
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16491: 24.3.50; ?REGRESSION: `defadvice' doc removed from Elisp manual
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 15:40:53 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> What's not fine is to simply remove all of the doc about the traditional
>> `defadvice' advice system.

Totally agreed.  Which is why I kept the 60KB of docs in the
Commentary section of advice.el.

        Stefan

Subject: 24.3.50; REGRESSION: `defadvice' doc removed from Elisp manual
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 22:45:09 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Elisp manual node `Advising Emacs Lisp Functions' has been rewritten to
include the new `add-function' stuff.  It is fine to document that new
feature.

What's not fine is to simply remove all of the doc about the traditional
`defadvice' advice system.  Even if that feature is to be deprecated,
its doc should remain until it is desupported.  If this removal is not
a temporary oversight (mistake) then it is quite misguided.  It hurts
Emacs users.

The Elisp manual should continue to be usable to help users code
`defadvice' advice, in addition to `add-function' advice.  As one use
case, some users will use Emacs 24.4 to write or maintain code for
older or multiple Emacs versions.

Normally there is a reasonably long transition period before a feature,
especially a major feature such as `defadvice', is desupported.  And
until desupport, the deprecated feature remains SUPPORTED - in
particular, by continuing to provide users with its reference doc.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-01-17 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 116059 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'