Subject: 24.3.50; :inherit ignored in `defface', :box border color used as foreground

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:13:04 -0800 (PST)

emacs -Q

Evaluate these, in this order, then try `customize-face' on each of
them.

(defface foo1 '((t :inherit region)) "..." :group 'faces)

(defface foo2 '((t (:box (:line-width -1 :color "Red")) :inherit foo1))
  "..." :group 'faces)

(defface foo3 '((t (:box (:line-width -1 :color "Red")) :inherit region))
  "..." :group 'faces)

Expected: `foo2' and `foo3' would each have the background highlighting
of face `region', surrounded by a red hollow box.

What I see: `foo2' and `foo3' do appear the same, but not as expected.

`foo1', as expected, looks like `region': just a highlighted background.

`foo2' and `foo3':

* Showing all attributes shows that `Inherit:' is not checked, and the
  `region' face highlighting is missing.

* The box attribute is checked, and all of its data is correct.

* The `sample' shows a face with a red foreground and no background.
  And no box at all.  And that is what the faces 

The problem arises with both direct (`foo3') and indirect (`foo2')
inheritance.

This problem appears (the same) in older Emacs versions also, at least
as far back as Emacs 22.  (Was :inherit introduced for Emacs 21 or 22?)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-01-17 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 116059 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'