Subject: bug#16481: dfa.c and Rational Range Interpretation

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:18:16 +0100

Il 10/02/2014 10:00, [email-masked] ha scritto:
>>> > >
>>> > > The documentation for 'grep' attempts to address this issue, perhaps not
>>> > > as clearly as it could.  Maybe the installation instructions should talk
>>> > > about it as well, and suggest --with-included-regex for people who care
>>> > > about this sort of thing.
>> >
>> > Yeah, that makes sense.  I will revert the commit.
> I think this is the wrong course of action. Paul suggested updating the
> doc to be more clear, not reverting the code.

If you use --with-included-regex, the patch is a no-op.  Thus it can be 
reverted.

> Personally, I think grep should always use the included regex so that
> then the behavior is consistent across all platforms everywhere; this
> is why gawk always uses its own regex.

I wouldn't be surprised if GNU distros patch gawk's regex away to get 
consistency with grep, sed, etc.

Paolo