Subject: bug#16481: dfa.c and Rational Range Interpretation

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:50:44 -0800

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Aharon Robbins wrote:
>>
>> Can you explain a bit more what the two different branches do?
>
> Sorry, not easily; I'm not familiar with the code. I assume it has something
> to do with locales where there's not a one-to-one correspondence between
> lower-case and upper-case letters.

Hi Paul,

A week or so, Norihiro Tanaka posted the patch in bug 16421, which
removes GREP-oriented dfa.c code in favor of what gawk has been using,
as well as ensuring that some of grep's case-insensitive searches no
longer have to case-convert the data being searched.  I was expecting
to apply it, along with another small change and a test, but now, feel
like I'll have to justify it with some performance data as well.
Assuming I find an improvement, expect a complete patch in a day or
two.