Subject: 24.3.50; [saveplace] symbol's function defn is void: dired-get-filename

From: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 01:50:45 -0500

>From emacs -Q:

(setq-default save-place t)
(require 'saveplace)
(eshell)
(kill-emacs)
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function dired-get-filename)
  dired-get-filename(nil t)
  save-place-to-alist()
  save-places-to-alist()
  save-place-kill-emacs-hook()
  kill-emacs()
  eval((kill-emacs) nil)
  eval-expression((kill-emacs) nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2014-01-17 on holos
Repository revision: 
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11500000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: EShell

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-: M-( s e q <backspace> t q - d e f <tab> SPC s a 
v e - p l a c t <backspace> <tab> SPC t <return> M-: 
M-( r e q u i <tab> SPC ' s a v e p <tab> <return> 
M-x e s h <tab> <return> C-x C-c M-x r e p o <tab> 
r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading em-glob...done
Loading em-hist...done
Loading em-ls...done
Loading em-prompt...done
Loading em-script...done
Loading em-term...done
Loading em-unix...done
(No files need saving)
save-place-to-alist: Symbol's function definition is void: dired-get-filename
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode em-unix em-term term disp-table easymenu
ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls cl-loaddefs cl-lib em-hist em-pred
em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util saveplace eldoc help-fns
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)