Subject: bug#16467: Diffutils 3.3 v. VMS (et al.)

From: "Steven M. Schweda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 08:06:52 -0600 (CST)

I normally build diffutils on a Tru64 UNIX system using the
vendor-supplied C compiler, which resembles the vendor-supplied C
compiler on VMS.  (Then I hand-edit the resulting config.h for use on
VMS.)  On Tru64, I ran into the previously reported "make check" failure
caused by the too-modern "export var=value" stuff in that "make" file. 
After getting past that problem, I was stopped by not having the exactly
correct version (1.13a) of automake.  Perhaps there's some simple
wark-around for that, but the error message I got did not lead me to it. 
Is "make check" intended only for serious developers, or should any peon
expect to be able to make it work starting from a simple source kit?

   Ignoring the lack of "make check" results, I tried to build the code
on VMS, making source changes like the now-familiar ones reported for
version 3.2 to deal with the VMS quirks, but I ran into one new problem:
The C macro HAVE_DECL_STRTOLL is still used in lib/strtoimax.c, but
seems to have disappeared from the Tru64-generated config.h.  My fault
or yours?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Steven M. Schweda               sms@antinode-info
   382 South Warwick Street        (+1) 651-699-9818
   Saint Paul  MN  55105-2547