Subject: bug#16466: Add support for new arch 'ppc64le' in "emacs23" upstream package

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:10:55 -0500

ravi wrote:

>     We are in the process of adding support for new arch 'ppc64le'
> (powerpc 64-bit Little Endian) and I was looking at building "
> emacs23" package on ppc64le environment and found that "emacs23"
> package require a patch to config.guess file found in the emacs23
> release tarball.
> Fortunately , automake >=1.13.4 has all the needed bits to support
> building on ppc64le arch.
>
> We would like to request you to upgrade "automake" in your build
> machine to >=1.13.4 and spin-off a new version of "emacs23" and let us
> know the new tar availability. So that we can test it on ppc64le
> architecture for you.
>
> the release tarball that we picked is from
> "http://mirrors.ispros.com.bd/gnu/emacs/emacs-24.3.tar.gz" , which
> doesn't have the ppc64le support.

I'm not sure if you are talking about Emacs 23, or Emacs 24.3.
We stopped supporting Emacs 23 some years ago, so there will be no new
release of that.

It is possible that the upcoming Emacs 24.4 release could support
ppc64le, depending on what changes turn out to be needed.

If it is just a matter of using a newer config.guess, then you do not
need us to do anything. Simply run

./autogen.sh

in the 24.3 source directory to regenerate the autotools files using
whatever version of automake you wish.

Quite possibly other changes will be needed as well though (eg to
configure.ac).