Subject: bug#16455: closed (Re: bug#16455: 24.3; (Emacs Info) h command behaves like H command)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 02:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16455: 24.3; (Emacs Info) h command behaves like H command

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16455: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16455
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16455: 24.3; (Emacs Info) h command behaves like H command
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 21:17:33 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Emacs added the H binding for describe-mode, for compatibility with
(future versions of) standalone info.

Ref: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-02/msg00309.html

Subject: 24.3; (Emacs Info) h command behaves like H command
From: "N. Jackson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:28:23 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

$ emacs -Q
M-x info RET
h

Expected behaviour:
The Info command keys are listed.

For example, the man entry for Info (M-x man RET info RET) says "For a
summary of key bindings, type h within Info."

Actual behaviour:
The Emacs Info viewer goes to the tutorial ("1.2 How to use
Info"). [That is the expected behaviour with the H command not the h
command.]

Additional information:
Stand alone Info (Version: info (GNU texinfo) 5.1) behaves as expected
for both h (displays key bindings) and H (displays tutorial).

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-14 on buildvm-15.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
System Description:    Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
 '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x i n f o <return> h M-x r e <tab> p o r t <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Composing main Info directory...done
You can run the command `info' with C-h i
Composing main Info directory...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode jka-compr info easymenu time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)