Subject: Re: bug#16454: Enhancement: emacs library jka-compr

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 18:47:31 -0700

"Tobias" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The question and answer at
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21118197/how-to-automatically-decompress-
> a-custom-compressed-file-when-opened-in-emacs/21127244#21127244
>
> show that it would be nice if the arguments of the compression/uncompression
> program would be evaluated.

[...]

> < (defun jka-compr-info-compress-args        (info)  (aref info 3))
>
> ---
>
>> (defun jka-compr-info-compress-args        (info)  (mapcar 'apply (aref
> info 3)))

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no
responses yet.)

If I understand the patch correctly (it's unfortunately not a context
patch (and has apparently been mangled in transport), which makes it
hard to read), you basically allow the decompressors to be sexps in
addition to strings.

I think if the syntax here is to be extended, I don't think a sexp would
be the best solution -- a function, for instance, seems more natural.
But I also think that this seems like a pretty niche thing to do, and
which can be (as the stackoverflow thread shows) be achieved through
other means, so I don't think this sounds like it's worth adding.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no