Subject: RE: bug#16439: [feature request] Highlighting of strings within Info buffers

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:05:52 -0800 (PST)

> that feature looks very useful to me.  I've just seen that info+ is
> developed by Drew Adams (I took the liberty to CC him).  Maybe he is
> willing to move info+ to GNU ELPA for now and after the feature freeze
> we could consider moving it or parts of it to Info mode.
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/info+.el

I have offered to GNU Emacs any or all of the info+.el code in the past
- more than once.  I offered the `...' and "..." highlighting as a patch
a decade ago.  I detailed tests on the existing manuals (Emacs and Elisp),
showing which tiny minority of nodes were problematic for such highlighting
because of unmatching " etc.

The offer for GNU Emacs still stands, of course.  But so far the response
has been, "Sorry, not interested".

Wrt GNU ELPA, it is not clear to me how to get code accepted and
submitted there.  I will not be using BZR or GIT etc.  (This code, like
almost all of my code, is available at MELPA, however.)  I could also
submit a patch again for just the `...' etc. highlighting, as an email
attachment.  But again, so far the answer from Emacs Dev has been no.