Subject: bug#16434: bug#16694: bugs #16694/#16378: Patches

From: Matthias Dahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:36:26 +0200

On 28/04/14 18:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the problem.  It looks like the problem
> is that when make-face-x-resource-internal is called near the end of
> face-spec-recalc, inhibit-x-resources is already set non-nil, and so
> make-face-x-resource-internal does nothing.

Ah, that little bit of information I missed. In that case, everything's
actually working as intended. If you start Emacs and force it to ignore
X resources, it does so entirely and as expected... even more so in 24.4
now. Programmatically "setting" an X resource behind the scenes and
expecting it to work even though that very system has been asked to do
nothing, is bound to cause trouble.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a bug, nevertheless... only it is imho
debatable what the root cause really is in this case. The fact that the
X resource is not being applied (despite inhibit-x-resources == t) or
that the toolbar coloring is changed this way and expected to work at
all times, even if inhibit-x-resources == t.

> Don't you see the same problem on X if you set
> emacs.tool-bar.attributeBackground in the X resources?  That would
> allow you to try the change on your system.

If that would work, I would consider it a bug. If an X resource was
applied even though I started Emacs w/ -Q or otherwise set inhibit-...
that would very much be a bug. At least imho that is.

> Btw, in the future, you don't need to submit 2 identical patches, just
> one to the release branch is enough: it will get merged onto the trunk
> soon enough after being committed to the branch.

Ah, Ok. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks...

I'll have a look at this issue sometime later this week or weekend and
see what is going on exactly and if there is a way to fix this without
actually implementing any exceptions into make-face-x-... or anything
alike. Naturally, if someone else wants to take a stab at it who knows
more about all those tightly intervened and sneaky parts of the code
than I do (that one shouldn't be hard :P), I absolutely won't mind. :-)

So long,
Matthias

-- 
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu
 services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration