Subject: Re: bug#16694: bugs #16694/#16378: Patches

From: Matthias Dahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:11:37 +0200

Hello Eli...

If no one else has taken care of this by the weekend, I'll happily take
a look then. Right now, I'm really short on time. I'm very sorry. :(

I apologize for the short answer in advance...

You are right. I looked over the 24.3 sources and also based on what you
described, the priority order needs fixing. If I remember correctly
though, this is very delicate and simply switching positions will cause
other bad side effects. :(

> I don't understand this logic: resources are a kind of customization,
> so they should override the default face spec, not the other way
> around.  Am I missing something?

When I initially set out to fix those bugs, I researched and, if I do
remember correctly, found an old thread where this was discussed and I
believe it was settled that Emacs defaults should always prevail. But in
hindsight, this makes no sense and I might have gotten things wrong.

I would like to remind you that the original and fundamental changes to
those functions where done by someone else. IMHO, they cleared a few
things up in contrast to 24.3... but introduced several bugs-- like the
ones I fixed and the one you are seeing now... unfortunately.

> This change was done because --reverse-video didn't work,

If you refer to my patches and explicitly moving the X resources stuff
at the beginning of face-spec-recalc: Those changes were done because
themes were broken. :) The changes I made for the reverse-video stuff
should not have caused this side effects and actually brought everything
more in line w/ 24.3... if anything else.

Like I said, if no one has taken care of this by the weekend, I will
gladly have a look and try to fix this as well. Sorry I couldn't be of
more help at this time, though.

So long,
Matthias

-- 
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu
 services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration