Subject: bug#16434: bug#16694: bugs #16694/#16378: Patches

From: Matthias Dahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 20:17:52 +0200

Hello Barry...

> It would be nice to get a fix into the upcoming pretest, announced at:

I agree-- that goes for all the mentioned bugs in the subject btw. ;-)
So I hope we can delay the pretest until those patches are applied.

> Could you explain how the patch I proposed would be wrong to install,
> even if it doesn't solve all ill symptoms? (No one has reported
> whether or not it solves theme problems.)

That whole part of Emacs is not as easy to modify as it might look and
things do tend to have rather unexpected side-effects there-- speaking
from experience. :)

So I honestly would like to keep as much untouched (with my other
patches applied) as possible to fix this bug as well.

The problem is: The inverse video logic is not handled in faces.el but
outside of it. And for X, after the frame has been created, the default
face needs to be left alone, otherwise the inverse video is lost. I've a
few ideas that I just need to test.

I've set aside some time tomorrow for this, so I'll get back to everyone
later that day after I have either cooked up something that works fine
or I've given up and banged my head against the wall. ;)

Sorry for the delay...
Matthias

-- 
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu
 services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration