Subject: bug#16433: Test case for newline cache corruption

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 11:24:02 +0300

> From: Ken Olum <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:38:27 -0400
> 
> 1.  Detach attached files test.mbox, test.in, and test.emacs.  
> 
> 2.  Put test.emacs in place of your .emacs file.
> 
> 3.  Run emacs.  I used a compilation from trunk revision 117139.
> 
> Because I had to try this many, many times, test.emacs puts testing
> commands on keys F3 and F4.  So
> 
> 3.  Push F3 to run rmail on test.mbox
> 
> 4.  Push F4 to get new mail from test.in
> 
> 5.  Push "p" to go to the previous message.  You should get a warning
> about cache corruption.

I'm sorry, but I cannot reproduce the problem with this recipe.  I
tried both the current trunk and the emacs-24 branch, and neither
produced the message about cache corruption.

What are your locale settings?  This could somehow conceal the bug,
although I doubt that, since the mbox file you sent doesn't include
any non-ASCII text in any shape.

Also, is your build optimized or not?  More generally, what are the
values of system-configuration and system-configuration-options in the
build where you reproduce this?  If your build options are different
from mine, especially the optimization switches, perhaps that is part
of the issue somehow.

If the locale stuff and build options don't help, I think the only way
to make progress is to ask you debug this on your system with guidance
from me and others here.  I have written some debugging code that
could help in this matter, which I can post here.  How proficient are
you with using GDB on the C level?

Thanks.