Subject: bug#16432: 24.3.50; [vc-hg] vc dir fails on nested hg repos

From: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:36:01 -0500

Hi,

I keep a git repo of VCS PKGBUILDs, some of these are for hg projects.
It looks something like this:

  ~/bin/pkgbuild:
  fontforge-git/
    pkg/
    src/
    PKGBUILD
  pentadactyl-hg/
    pkg/
    src/
    PKGBUILD

A PKGBUILD is in each directory in `pkgbuild`, and in each src/
directory is a repo.  For example, `~/bin/pkgbuild/src/fontforge/` is
the root directory of fontforge's repository.

>From emacs -Q:
C-x v d ~/bin/pkgbuild/pentadactyl-hg/src/dactyl RET
                 ^                          ^
             Git repo                    Hg repo

I can C-x v d fontforge and everything works as expected, but if I C-x v
d dactyl, I get:

  VC backend : Git
  Working dir: ~/bin/pkgbuild/pentadactyl-hg/src/dactyl/
  Branch     : master
  Remote     : <snip>/pkgbuild.git

So, vc treats `dactyl` as just another directory in the `pkgbuild` Git
repo, *not* as the repo that it is.

On the other hand, at least if I open a file in the dactyl repo, hg is
shown in the status line.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2014-01-06 on holos
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11405000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: VC dir

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x v d b <tab> p k <tab> p e n <tab> s r <tab> <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu vc-git vc-bzr vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)