Subject: bug#16413: 24.3.50; Inconsistent behavior of text property functions in narrowed buffer

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:17:19 -0800

On 01/11/2014 12:12 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:03:42 -0800
>> From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
>> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> Narrowing *is* generally useful for treating part of a buffer as a
>> consistent unit, though, especially when that part is syntactically
>> different from the rest of the buffer.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "consistent unit".

Narrowing is useful as a poor man's mmm-mode, among other things, and 
programatically, it's useful for parsing delimited constructs (where we 
can just narrow to the region of interest). Narrowing hasn't been a 
purely visual hint, and plenty of lisp-level functions treat the edges 
of the accessible portion of the buffer as real buffer ends. Since this 
abstraction almost completely works today, we should try to fill any 
remaining gaps.