Subject: Re: bug#16407: Info-directory-list should always put this Emacs's info direc first

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:28:19 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> The initialization of Info-directory-list is rather complicated.
> Part of it uses this logic:
>
>    Therefore, the directory of Info files that come with Emacs normally
>    should come last (so that local files override standard ones), unless
>    Emacs is installed into a non-standard directory. In the latter case,
>    the directory of Info files that come with Emacs should be first in
>    this list.
>
> I don't think this logic makes sense any more. I think the directory of
> Info files that come with Emacs should *always* be placed at the front of
> the result

I agree completely.

The info setup is pretty convoluted, so I'm not quite sure what the
current state is.  This is the default value in "emacs -Q" in Emacs 29:

Info-directory-list
("/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/info/" "/usr/share/info/")

But it's with an uninstalled Emacs.  Reading Info-default-dirs, it looks
like it's trying to do the right thing?  So has this been solved already
at some point?

> (even before INFOPATH entries).

But I'm not sure about that.  I don't think distributions set that by
default, but users do to alter stuff, so we should respect it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no