Subject: Re: bug#16407: Info-directory-list should always put this Emacs's info direc first

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:47:26 +0100

Glenn Morris writes:
> (And they could always do it with some site-specific elisp if they
> really wanted to. But I expect it to be very much a fringe case.)

I think you assume too much sophisication of a sysadmin who will
typically know little about the intricacies of Emacs.  In any case, the
examples of site-lisp customization that I've been exposed to lately
have forced me to add "--no-site-lisp" to my all Emacs invocations.

> By default, Emacs uses the Gnus that comes with Emacs.
> To get it to use a different Gnus, you have to customize load-path.
> I do not think it unreasonable that you should have to similarly
> customize Info-directory-list to get the right manual.

The problem is that it's not immediately obvious when the two are not
kept in sync; something that presumably package manager should solve,
but doesn't.  It would help if the built-in packages could be completely
deactivated upon installation of a different version of that same
package via package manager (that is, the custom-load and autoload stuff
for such a package delivered with Emacs should not be evaluated in that
case).

> I don't understand why it cannot be solved successfully by doing what I
> said. I don't care about seeing multiple versions of the manuals with
> the same name, I want to see only one version, and I want that version
> to be the version that comes with Emacs.

… while someone else might reaonably expect that he'll get the version
of the manual that he's installed first or last.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada