Subject: Re: bug#16403: Rectangular selection visually disturbing

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2025 16:20:40 -0500

>> > that thin vertical line.  I find it convenient (tho I agree that the
>> > small motion is bar jarring), but that's a question of taste.
>>
>> It is a bit more than only convenient: for commands like
>> `string-rectangle' or `rectangle-number-lines' it is an important guide
>> visualizing what one will get.
>
> FWIW: As I said, I dislike the current visual effect of shifting the
> text.  And I would definitely prefer _not_ to see _any_ visual
> indication of a zero-columns rectangle, if that indication entails
> such a visual effect.  That's why I'm asking for a way to configure
> the behavior I prefer.

In the short term, I think adding a config var to disable the small
space is probably the best option.  Patch welcome.
In the longer term, it might be worthwhile to consider adding a delay,
i.e. a zero-width rectangle would start being shown as "zero width" but
after a short idle time we'd add the small space to make it more
visually obvious.  It would help avoid the small movement that
occurs between the time you `C-x RET` and the time you start moving
the cursor while still offering the convenient visual feedback to those
willing to wait a little.

        Stefan