Subject: Re: bug#16403: Rectangular selection visually disturbing

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2025 18:43:57 +0200

> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2025 17:31:34 +0100
> 
> I've been looking for a way to avoid the ugly visual effect of
> "micro-shifting" text while making a zero-width rectangular region (on
> a GUI Emacs frame).

That's by design.

> I think it would be nice to display that "thin vertical line" _over_
> the actual text; i.e. as an overlay, without any offsetting of the
> current text.

Emacs doesn't have such capabilities.

> If that is too complicated, I'd like to have a way to configure Emacs
> _not_ to show that "thin vertical line" at all (i.e. to have the same
> behavior on GUI frames as on TTY frames).
> 
> (after all, if I want to know the current limits of such a zero-width
> rectangular region, I can type "C-x C-x" twice, or "C-f C-b")

I believe that line was meant to be an indication that the region is
active and you have a rectangle, even an empty one.  But I'm CC'ing
Stefan in case I misremember.