Subject: Rectangular selection visually disturbing

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2025 17:31:34 +0100

Hi.

I've been looking for a way to avoid the ugly visual effect of
"micro-shifting" text while making a zero-width rectangular region (on
a GUI Emacs frame).

(see the illustration reported time ago in this ticket:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/KIfjc.gif)

It seems that the problem was fixed for TTYs frames, but not for GUI
frames, IMO.

I think it would be nice to display that "thin vertical line" _over_
the actual text; i.e. as an overlay, without any offsetting of the
current text.

If that is too complicated, I'd like to have a way to configure Emacs
_not_ to show that "thin vertical line" at all (i.e. to have the same
behavior on GUI frames as on TTY frames).

(after all, if I want to know the current limits of such a zero-width
rectangular region, I can type "C-x C-x" twice, or "C-f C-b")

-- 
Dani Moncayo