Subject: bug#16383: balance-windows fails in Emacs 24.3.50.1

From: Steven Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 05:46:49 -0500

> Did you evaluate the entire lisp directory?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  The Debian package that I use
(from naquadah.org) is 24.3.1.50, the same as the one in GNU's git
repository.  I installed the git version into a subdirectory
(./autogen.sh && ./configure -with-prefix=~/emacs && make bootstrap &&
make install) and it byte-compiled all of the .el files from the
master branch.

naquadah's emacs stores window.el in /usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp, so
I renamed that directory and replaced it with a soft link to
~/emacs/lisp.  I then closed and re-opened emacs, which I believe
evaluated everything from the lisp directory in git's master branch.

If that's true, then the answer is yes.  If not, please let me know
what to do.

> I don't understand what you mean here.  However, if the bug persists
> with a checkout after my change we have to debug this.
>
> martin

I received a 1920x1080 display for Christmas and I find it much easier
to read long articles (or .pdfs) by vertically splitting a frame into
3 or 4 even windows.  (I then activate follow-mode for most modes and
use some custom code to mimic the effect whem in doc-view-mode.)

To answer your first sentence, I was saying that since balance-windows
works* in Git@master's version of emacs (the one in ~/emacs/bin/), I
could use it for reading until naquadah updates their snapshot.

If I can help debug this, I will be more than happy to; I'm assuming
the problem has more to do with a lack of knowledge on my part than
with the code.  If you're willing to give advice on what to do next, I
will be eager to learn.

Best,

Steven

* assemblage-theme and w3m won't load in Git's emacs either, but they
  are minor issues likely related to load-path which should be easy to
  debug.