Subject: Re: Empty face settings ignored (was bug#16694: Regression by commit 115663 (bzr): Theme face attributes no longer take precedence over X resources)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:49:58 -0500

> don't know all of its dark corners and functionality. Thus, when I read
> the bug report done by Stefan, I tried to figure out what was the
> desired and what was the buggy behavior, all in the context of some
> functionality that was rather foggy to me.

The desired behavior is that after middle clicking "State => Set for
current session", the "sample" (and all code highlighted with that
font-lock-comment-delimiter-face) should be displayed with the default
color used for all non-highlighted text (i.e. a black foreground,
typically), whereas it's still displayed using the reddish color of
font-lock-comment-face.
IOW, even though I specifically asked to remove the inheritance between 
font-lock-comment-delimiter-face and font-lock-comment-face, this
inheritance is still present.

Note that this has nothing to do with inheritance.  The same recipe
works for other properties:

   src/emacs -Q lisp/minibuffer.el
   C-e
   M-x customize-face RET RET
   [ So this time we get font-lock-comment-face. ]
   click on the "Foreground" button so as to disable the reddish color:
   the result should be a face that does not specify any particular
   appearance.  Middle click "State => Set for current session" and
   notice that the face is still using the same reddish foreground.

-- Stefan