Subject: bug#16354: closed (Re: bug#16354: 24.3.50; `M-o' conflict in Dired - change Omit mode to `C-x M-o')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 05:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16354: 24.3.50; `M-o' conflict in Dired - change Omit mode to `C-x M-o'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16354: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16354
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#16354: 24.3.50; `M-o' conflict in Dired - change Omit mode to `C-x M-o'
From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 13:07:08 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed in 24.4.

On 2014-01-06 12:07 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Indeed, I find the "conflicts with global M-o binding" to be very weak,
> but the I see no reason for dired-omit-mode to have a short key-binding,
> so C-x <something> is perfectly fine for it.

OK, I rebound it to C-x M-o as suggested by Drew.

Leo

Subject: 24.3.50; `M-o' conflict in Dired - change Omit mode to `C-x M-o'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:29:51 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

dired-x.el has bound `M-o' to `dired-omit-mode', which is a toggle,
since Time Immemorial.  The facemenu commands were originally on
prefix key `M-g'.

Someone later had the bright idea to change `M-g' to prefix "go to"
commands.  And so, presumably without too much reflection about Dired X,
facemenu commands were moved to prefix key `M-o'.

So now you cannot put font-lock- or face-related commands on prefix
`M-o' in Dired, if you also use Dired X (which you should, of course).

`M-o' makes much more sense as a prefix key than as a toggle key.

I propose that we change the Dired X binding of `dired-omit-mode' to
`C-x M-o'.  Or to some other not-easily-repeatable key.  This toggle
does not need to be a quick key to use, at all.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-01-01 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 115827 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'