Subject: Re: bug#16348: 24.3.50; Increasing internal-border-width cuts menubar and toolbar on non-toolkit builds

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:38:50 +0100

> Steps to reproduce:
 >
 > 1. Build emacs with --without-x-toolkit
 > 2. $ emacs -Q &
 > 3. (set-frame-parameter nil 'internal-border-width 10) C-j
 >
 > Then menubar and toolbar look as if they were cut by the internal
 > border (see the attached screenshot).
 >
 > (We can also see several other garbages in the internal border area,
 > but they had been there even on Emacs 24.3.)
 >
 > This does not happen with Lucid or GTK+ builds.

I can see this here as well.  There are many cases when redisplaying a
frame fails in this way, especially after setting a frame parameter.
Bug#14222 is another example.  When you maximize the frame and
subsequently restore its previous size the problems usually go away
(that's what I do in such cases).

What we needed here is some simple switch we can set and which causes
the redisplay engine to do a through redisplay instead of trying to be
clever and selectively clear/erase some space formerly occupied by a
scrollbar, fringe or border.

martin