Subject: Re: bug#16347: 24.3.50; Company pseudo-tooltip refresh problem when expanded down at eob

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:23:02 +0400

Sorry, you both. Here's the missing piece:

(setq bidi-display-reordering nil)

This is pretty low-level var, so maybe it's not even supposed to be set 
by a user.

On 08.01.2014 21:55, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm not Stefan, but I have problems reproducing this.  Is the recipe
> complete enough to start with "emacs -Q"?  Obviously, there should be
> a step to add the company directory to load-path, but are there any
> other customizations that are necessary?

Sorry, see above.

> Also, the description of the problem is not entirely clear to me.  By
> "current candidate" do you mean the completion candidate whose line in
> the pseudo-tooltip is displayed with a distinct color?

Yes.

> You also talk about
> "summary lines shown in the echo area", but if I follow your recipe, I
> see nothing in the echo area, and the *Messages* buffer confirms that
> nothing was displayed there.

Indeed, this only happens when a suitable backend gets enabled, and 
company-elisp only works in IELM buffers in the upstream Company, not 
yet with code in ELPA. You can try

(require 'company-capf)
M-x company-capf

but that really doesn't matter, since it's unrelated to the bug and just 
indicates that the current candidate has indeed changed after you 
pressed M-n or M-p, and it's just overlay display that wasn't updated.

> Finally, did you try with the current trunk?  Your original report is
> about a revision after which a fix for a similar redisplay problems
> was committed, so is there any chance you are still using an outdated
> trunk code?

I saw that fix, but no change.