Subject: Re: bug#16346: 24.3; electric-pair-mode close-paren issue

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:20:49 -0500

>>> But maybe eldoc-post-insert-mode (maybe even a new name
>>> eldoc-edit-mode?) can check on char changes instead?
>> I don't understand what you mean by "char changes".
>> Ah, you mean using an after-change-function?  I don't really like that.
>> I'm not sure what problem it is supposed to avoid.
> The SPC DEL thing that you mentioned

Ah, right, it would cause the DEL to also emit the eldoc info.

> and this bug.

Using a buffer-local eldoc-message-commands which only contains
self-insert-command would also fix this bug.

> OK I don't mind taking eldoc-post-insert-mode out completely.  Let me
> know if you want me to.  It is new in 24.4 so better go now if it has to
> go.  I can put it in my init file if I need it.

I think the idea is fine, but using post-self-insert-hook turns out to
be a bad idea, I think (tho I liked it, initially).
Could you try and re-implement it as a minor mode that enables
eldoc-mode and tweaks eldoc-message-commands buffer-locally, to see if
that works better?

        Stefan