Subject: bug#16346: 24.3; electric-pair-mode close-paren issue

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 08:48:24 +0800

On 2014-01-06 07:13 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> FWIW, I find eldoc-post-insert-mode suffers from many problems.
> I'd appreciate if someone who likes eldoc-post-insert-mode explains to
> me the advantages it sees in comparison to the "default"
> post-command-hook mode, so we can maybe find a better way to get the
> same result.

I might be the only one using it (exclusively) :( but I am open to
change.

The idea behind eldoc-post-insert-mode is not to show the eldoc messages
all the time which can be kinda distracting. Some editing environments
(maybe Matlab) also only show the arglist after inserting (.

In general I find the arglist (eldoc) most useful when editing text.
When browsing code it is most of the time easy to guess from context.

Also getting the arglist can be expensive. For example in octave it has
to ask the running process (which can get stuck when the process is in
the middle of doing something else). In other cases it has to make
remote calls.

Leo