Subject: bug#16346: 24.3; electric-pair-mode close-paren issue

From: [email-masked] (João Távora)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 19:25:32 +0000

Leo Liu <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Are you sure this is only with the new features?
> Yes.

Funny, `electric-pair--insert' was also being called with the previous
`electric-pair-mode' to insert matchers and it didn't change. The
previous version did sometimes match ( didn't it? :)

> But this may break the other half of stuff using
> post-self-insert-hook?

Yes, more or less I think that was the gist of the FIXME notes that
Stefan had added there. OTOH, it's useful, for example, when newlines
are inserted. electric-indent-mode has a chance to kick in there.

Let's look at this this way, if the user pressed `(', `)' and `C-b' in
sucession, what would that "half of stuff" do? This is what
electric-pair more or less emulates.

On the other hand, we can decide to insert matchers using simple
`insert'. Stefan any thoughts?

> Add (eldoc-post-insert-mode nil) fixes this bug.

Nice, looks good, maybe you could commit this and maybe add a test or
two. I can only look at this at the end of the week, sorry.