Subject: bug#16340: 24.3.50; Maximize to the left/right side of the screen (on Windows 7 & 8)

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 08:08:20 +0100

>> "maximize to left/right" (unlike the standard
>> "maximize") aren't "states" of a window, i.e. the OS simply tries to
>> resize and relocate the window to occupy the corresponding half of the
>> screen.
>
> That's not really true, or at least, is not all the truth. Open
> Notepad, grab it by the caption, and move it to the left or right;
> Windows will "maximize it" to half-display left or right. Then grab it
> again from the caption, and move it off the side of the display:
> Windows restores its previous size. So the half-maximized left/right
> is some sort of state of a window, it's not just a resizing, because
> on a normal resizing Windows does not remember the previous dimensions
> of the window. Vertical maximization (Win+Shift+Up) is also a
> "sort-of-maximized" state that can be restored with Win+Shift-Down.

Duh, you're right Juanma.  (I should have deferred my reply to Martin
until after sleeping :).)

Therefore, I think that the questions now are: if these ("maximized to
left/right") are special states of a window, could Emacs keep track of
them?  And if so, could Emacs DTRT (i.e. avoid the gaps) when they are
active?

-- 
Dani Moncayo