Subject: Re: bug#16340: 24.3.50; Maximize to the left/right side of the screen (on Windows 7 & 8)

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 23:16:26 +0100

> If you don't want the gaps, you have to set `frame-resize-pixelwise' to
> true.  That's what all other graphical programs on Windows do and that's
> what I do.  And that also means that dragging the border of an Emacs
> frame will resize it pixelwise like the window of any other graphical
> application.

But with 'frame-resize-pixelwise' set to 'nil', a maximized Emacs
frame takes up the whole "available" screen (except the taskbar),
without letting any gaps anywhere.  That's why I expected "maximize to
left/right" to also take the whole left/right half of the available
screen (without gaps).

But I think that the key difference, which I didn't understand until
now, may be that "maximize to left/right" (unlike the standard
"maximize") aren't "states" of a window, i.e. the OS simply tries to
resize and relocate the window to occupy the corresponding half of the
screen.  In that case, I understand the behavior I see, and I agree it
is not a bug.

I'll close this bug report then.

Thanks for your time.

-- 
Dani Moncayo