Subject: bug#16333: 24.3.50; Info manuals: link defined terms to their glossary entries

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 13:50:17 -0800 (PST)

Enhancement request.

Inspired from a post on emacs-devel in thread "Apologia for bzr",
2014-01-03, which said,

  I bet you can dip into any number of Info nodes where the terms
  "buffer" and "window" are used without definition.

That would be a non-issue if such terms were linked (automatically) to
their glossary entries.  This feature should be optional, and even easy
to toggle on/off.  The links should be highlighted differently, so users
can easily tell that they are glossary links.

Info manuals such as the Emacs manual are strong in actually providing
an extensive glossary of terms.  But it is true that we do not leverage
that feature by (a) showing, in the main text, which terms are glossary
terms and (b) provide direct links to their definitions.

We do provide a (probably little-known, little-used) command,
`search-emacs-glossary', that at least takes you to node `Glossary'.
But that is only rudimentary help, considering that so much information
is already organized to provide users term definitions.  What's missing
is better access to those, and more visibility for them.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-01-01 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 115827 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'