Subject: bug#16332: 24.3; emacs -nw in M-x term: term and ansi-term should substract the fringes from the width

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 03:30:14 +0100

Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]> writes:

> On wy small laptop, I use emacs in full-screen view as replacement for
> a desktop environment. When I then use term to ssh into another
> computer ad run the remotee emacs in shell-mode, the display is broken
> - except when I set fringe-mode to no-fringes.
>
> To fix this, it would be great, if term and ansi-term could substract
> the fringes from the width they report to the running shell. This (or
> a more elegant solution) should the allow running a remote emacs in
> emacs seamlessly.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I tried reproducing this in Emacs 28, but things look OK to me.  Are you
still seeing this problem?  If so, could you give a recipe, starting
from "emacs -Q", to reproduce it?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no