Subject: bug#16323: grep-2.16 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 22:33:16 -0800

To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
Subject: grep-2.16 released [stable]

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

This is to announce grep-2.16, a stable, bug-fix release.

There have been 23 commits by 3 people in the 10 weeks since 2.15.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Jim Meyering (21)
  Santiago Ruano Rincón (1)
  behoffski (1)

Jim [on behalf of the grep maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU grep home page:
  http://gnu.org/s/grep/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=grep.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.16
or run this command from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git shortlog v2.15..v2.16

To summarize the 56 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git checkout v2.16
  git submodule summary v2.15

Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.16.tar.xz
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.16.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.16.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.16.tar.xz.sig

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify grep-2.16.tar.xz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.112-f181
  Automake 1.99a
  Gnulib v0.1-50-g7a0c729

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.16 (2014-01-01) [stable]

** Bug fixes

  Fix gnulib-provided maint.mk so that the release procedure described
  in README-release actually does what we want.  Before that fix, that
  procedure resulted in a grep-2.15 tarball that would lead to a grep
  binary whose --version-reported version number was 2.14.51...

  The fix to make \s and \S work with multi-byte white space broke
  the use of each shortcut whenever followed by a repetition operator.
  For example, \s*, \s+, \s? and \s{3} would all malfunction in a
  multi-byte locale.  [bug introduced in grep-2.15]

  The fix to make grep -P work better with UTF-8 made it possible for
  grep to evoke a larger set of PCRE errors, some of which could trigger
  an abort.  E.g., this would abort:
    printf '\x82'|LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 grep -P y
  Now grep handles arbitrary PCRE errors.  [bug introduced in grep-2.15]

  Handle very long lines (2GiB and longer) on systems with a deficient
  read system call.

Also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7836