Subject: cp is a cpu hog

From: "U.Mutlu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 08:37:35 +0100

Hello,
there is a big bug with the cp command: it eats all cpu resources,
the system is not responsive while copying a huge file,
say a file of size 10 GB.

There are other _desasterous_ consequences of this behaviour,
if interessted I can tell you.

OS: Debian, 64bit, latest, happens also on other distros like Ubuntu,
see for example these links:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1206936
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/365775
 
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4290679/why-high-io-rate-operations-slow-everything-on-linux
  ...

I suggest you just place a nanosleep(a_small_value)
in the loop that does the copy operation.
 From my experience in simular situations this helps much.

Best regards & Happy New Year
U.Mutlu