Subject: Re: bug#16296: subword.el regexps shouldn't be constants

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 13:16:54 -0500

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:43:10 +1300 Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> wrote: 

PS> I notice that a recent(ish) change in subword.el changed the two
PS> regexps (subword-forward-regexp and subword-backward-regexp) into
PS> constants.

PS> The reason for splitting them out into variables in the first
PS> place was to help make subword-mode easily adaptable to other
PS> situations where similar functionality was needed, but for different
PS> definitions of 'subword'.

PS> For the situation where the normal subword-forward/backward-function
PS> values are fine and you simply need buffer-local overrides for the
PS> regexps, this newer change would seem to be counter-productive.

PS> Can we please revert it?

For reference, you mean this commit?

revno: 113492
fixes bug: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13758
committer: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Mon 2013-07-22 12:25:32 -0400
message:
  * lisp/progmodes/subword.el: Fix boundary case.
  (subword-forward-regexp): Make it a constant.  Wrap optional \\W in its
  own group.
  (subword-backward-regexp): Make it a constant.
  (subword-forward-internal): Don't treat a trailing capital as the
  beginning of a word.
  * test/automated/subword-tests.el: New file.