Subject: bug#16296: closed (Re: subword.el regexps shouldn't be constants)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 05:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#16296: subword.el regexps shouldn't be constants

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
16296: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16296
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: subword.el regexps shouldn't be constants
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 21:50:20 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I installed that patch; thanks.

Subject: subword.el regexps shouldn't be constants
From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:43:10 +1300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I notice that a recent(ish) change in subword.el changed the two
regexps (subword-forward-regexp and subword-backward-regexp) into
constants.

The reason for splitting them out into variables in the first
place was to help make subword-mode easily adaptable to other
situations where similar functionality was needed, but for different
definitions of 'subword'.

For the situation where the normal subword-forward/backward-function
values are fine and you simply need buffer-local overrides for the
regexps, this newer change would seem to be counter-productive.

Can we please revert it?

-Phil