Subject: Re: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 22:08:45 +0200

> From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:46:16 +0100
> 
> The info reader should really recode the info file into the locale's
> encoding on the fly (and info files should always be encoded in UTF-8).

You mean, the Emacs Info reader?  It already does that on a TTY,
using terminal-coding-system.  But the problem is that these Unicode
quotes cannot be encoded in most (all?) non-UTF encodings.

We could replace those characters via display tables.

But these solutions are only for the Emacs Info reader; the
stand-alone reader doesn't do anything like that, it simply dumps the
bytes to the screen, assuming the text is in the current locale's
encoding.

> It doesn't make sense any more to use Latin-1.

We originally produced ASCII emulations of the non-ASCII characters
used by the names of contributors in ack.texi etc., but then decided
to show them more respect by using Latin.  That's how it all started.