Subject: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:03:27 +0200

> Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:33:47 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I don't understand exactly what Paul did to change (for Emacs) the
> first ' in '...' to SINGLE TURNED COMMA QUOTATION MARK

Paul added "@documentencoding utf-8" to sources of all the Info
manuals; the rest was done by makeinfo when it produced the Info
files.

> but if he could do that, couldn't a similar approach be used to
> change that first ' back to `, restoring things for Emacs users as
> they were before (removing this regression)?

Not by a similar approach, but we could indeed restore old behavior by
customizing makeinfo (the details are in the Texinfo manual, and were
quoted here by the OP).  But we need to agree to that first, and I
very much doubt that such an agreement will be reached, given the GNU
Coding Standards and the general mindset.