Subject: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 18:15:28 +0200

> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 21:31:37 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > I'm okay with the first one.
> 
> OK, I pushed it into the trunk as bzr 115884.

Thanks.

> The second one should wait until after the feature freeze is over
> so there's no rush in nailing down the details.

Right.

> > As for the second, I still think that (a) the ASCII version should be
> > the default, and (b) using --enable/disable-encoding on the makeinfo
> > command line is an easier way of achieving the same effect.
> 
> Let's look at (b) first.  I don't see how it would work,
> since we can't assume that the installer has makeinfo,
> which means the option cannot be made at install time
> by using --enable-encoding or --disable-encoding.

Is it a frequent situation that someone who does the configure and
"make" steps doesn't have makeinfo?  I thought this to be rare.  If
I'm wrong, then I guess those users who do want to generate the Info
files with a non-default style of punctuation will have to install
Texinfo or live with this minor problem.  And if we use (a) as well,
then the distributed version will already be completely readable, if
not the most beautiful one.

> Unless you want to ship two copies of each .info file
> in the tarball, a full version and an ASCIIfied version?

No, of course not.