Subject: Re: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 05:54:33 +0200

> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 15:05:33 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> 
> [1:text/plain Hide]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > If we are going to use Texinfo 4 for generating the manuals in the
> > next release, the problem that bothered me will not happen in the Info
> > files that will be in the release tarball.
> 
> Ah, OK, then we can separate the proposed patch into two parts.
> The first just adds @documentencoding lines, and can be installed
> now.  The second deals with ASCIIfying the info files, a new feature
> that can wait until after the feature freeze is over.  I'm attaching
> both patches.

I'm okay with the first one.

As for the second, I still think that (a) the ASCII version should be
the default, and (b) using --enable/disable-encoding on the makeinfo
command line is an easier way of achieving the same effect.  But if
Stefan prefers this method, so be it.

Thanks.