Subject: Re: bug#16292: 24.3.50; info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 05:41:44 +0200

> Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 13:07:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > Yes, that too: Texinfo 4 still uses `..' for quoting.
> 
> No.  The OP's problem came from an Emacs that was built otherwise.
> That's the point.  He was aware of that being the cause; it is
> exactly that problem that he reported (to me).
> 
> Yes, Texinfo and makeinfo are not Emacs.  That's your point.  But
> that does not solve the OP's problem.  That's the point.

It will solve some of the problem, because Emacs will be released with
the quoting he wanted.

But the problem itself should find there solution either in Texinfo,
or in the Lisp programs (and users' minds) that will adapt to the
change.

> I can sympathize with that, and I agree with it generally.  Still,
> it seems that in this case it means that more and more Emacs users
> will get worse Info behavior in Emacs, as more and more builders
> move to a more recent Texinfo/makeinfo.  Can we only tell users
> that this is not an Emacs problem?  That's the answer?

As I said, patches are welcome to display '..' as something more
visually pleasing.

> I will only say that it's too bad if Emacs users lose reasonable
> Info behavior that they have enjoyed since the beginning.

That ship sailed several months ago.  There's nothing we can do to
return it, unless Texinfo changes back (unlikely, if you ask me).